A computer consists of two parts- hardware parts and software parts. For making a computer, one needs to buy hardware components initially.
4. Graphics card ( required for high definition games)
5. Sound card ( For better sound)
6. Network card
7. Hard disk
8. Optical disk
9. Switch Mode Power Supply Box (SMPS)
Steps to assemble the hardware components inside a cabinet.
1. Get the motherboard ready
i. Very cautiously, place the processor in the socket of the motherboard in correct position. Remember, if the processor is installed wrongly then it may damage both the processor and motherboard. Mount the processor fan above it and connect it to the motherboard.
ii. Insert the RAM modules in the memory sockets on the motherboard. Normally, there are two memory slots in a motherboard but for the high-end machine there are more than two RAM slots in a motherboard. The pins on the memory card should be aligned with the pins on the motherboard connector.
2. Open the cabinet and fix the SMPS box
3. Fix the motherboard to the cabinet as per the instructions are given with the motherboard.
4. Fix the hard disk and DVD-ROM drive to the cabinet.
5. Connect the motherboard and the hard disk with an SATA cable.
6. Connect the motherboard and the DVD-ROM drive with an ATA cable.
7. Connect the power supply cables provided with the SMPS box to the motherboard, hard disk, and DVD drive.
The aforesaid hardware components are the basic parts which are necessary to build the Central Processing Unit of any desktop or laptop computer. These components are then assembled inside a cabinet.
Apart from the above mentioned components, a computer also needs some peripheral.
5. UPS ( In case of desktop computer)
6. Battery (In case of laptop)
7. Charger (required for laptop)
A computer also needs some optional peripheral devices for enhancing its functionality.
3. Router/ Switch
All the peripheral devices are connected to the various ports on the Central Processing Unit. Now, the computer is ready in terms of hardware. Next, comes the software part.
A computer cannot do any work until the software is loaded.
The assembled computer is loaded with an operating system, driver software, application software, and utility software.
Driver software varies from hardware to hardware. It is used for proper functioning of the hardware devices, such as sound card, graphic card, printer scanner etc..
1. MS Office
2. Adobe Photo Shop
3. Coral draw
4. Movie maker
List of utility software are-
1. Anti virus
2. Zipping software
3. DVD player
Once you are done with assembling and installation of software, your computer is ready to be used.