Wondering why this name? Because Telugu people call Chana Dal Senaga Pappu and that is why this name. A Chana Dal is considered to be the healthiest pulse of all. You can prepare many dishes from Chana Dal and then give your own twist to the recipe and create your version of it. A dal is something that is prepared at our homes on a daily basis. Be it Toor Dal, Chana Dal or Urad Dal. You can have dal solely or along with plain rice and even chapati. Here, I have prepared Chana Dal in the same way how Telugu people prepare. So, what are you waiting for? Go straight to the kitchen and prepare your own version of Kobbari Senagapappu Kura or Coconut Chana Dal stir-fry. You can say whatever you feel like.
Making of Coconut Chana Dal Stir-Fry:
1. It is necessary to soak the Chana Dal prior before you cook. So, start by washing the Chana Dal with thoroughly with enough water. Drain all the water and soak the Chana Dal with enough water.
2. Then pressure cook the dal using lots of water and salt. Ensure that the dal is cooked properly and is soft. Don’t let the dal get mushy. Meanwhile, parboil the carrots and keep aside if you are using it.
3. Take a pan and heat oil in it. Once the oil is heated, add mustard seeds and allow them to splutter. Once they start spluttering, add urad dal and cumin seeds. Saute until dal and cumin seeds begin to change colour.
4. Then add curry leaves, dry red chillies, and garlic. Mix well and let them cook for a few seconds. Then add chopped green chillies and onions. Saute for about a minute or until onions become transparent.
5. Now, add carrots and stir-fry for further 3-4 minutes. If you are not using carrots, then straight away add cooked Chana Dal along with salt as per the taste. Don’t forget that you have already added salt while cooking Chana Dal. So, add salt accordingly.
6. Now, add grated coconut and stir-fry for about 4-5 minutes. Yummy Coconut Chana Dal Stir-Fry is ready. Serve it hot with rice and rasam.
The author of the article is a South-Indian and has shared many recipes that taste very delicious. He also writes for many websites and is also a well-known chef. This particular Coconut Chana Dal Stir-Fry recipe is his all-time favourite among other South-Indian dishes.