TIME, a well-known New York weekly, selects one TIME person of the year exercising various measures.
The person or the group of people who has had the greatest impact on the global level in the past 12 months, either better or worse, is declared as the TIME person of the year. And the president-elect of the US, Mr. Donald J. Trump has won the race.
One of the most interesting things, TIME partnered this with Opentopic and IBM’s Watson this year and this is how the magazine could assess the popularity of the prospects on the internet.
In fact, the online reader’s poll for TIME Person of the Year was won by Mr. Narendra Modi, the Prime Minister of India. On the last Sunday, midnight, the polls were closed and Modi won with the 18% votes.But actually, the editors of the magazine decide the person of the year finally. Naturally, they have their own parameters.
Anyway, formally, the TIME person of the year was announced on the 7th of December, and keeping aside the reader’s poll, it was Mr. Trump who had the triumph.
TIME calls Donald J.Trump as the “President of Divided States of America”! Well, how can Trump welcome this saying? But yes, he says that it's a big honour for him to be selected as the TIME person of the year.
Trump says that actually he has not divided the states but yes, there are divisions and now the government is going to work so that all this heals.
This is the 90th time when TIME has announced a person of the year, for better or worse.
The victory of Trump in the US elections has been really amazing. He was so clear about what he thinks and what his vision is. Many called him quite unfit for politics. But this first-time comer to the US politics just won the presidential race. He is dead against the terrorism. He is a big fan of the Hindus, as he says. For a politician, to be so clear about such issues, could be probably something that may not support. But he won!
Now, it is yet to be seen how this TIME person of the year, makes America great again.
There were total 11 finalists.All pioneer people from different walks of life.
1. Simone Biles (A talented 19-year-old gymnast
2. Hillary Clinton (The former First Lady, New York Senator and Secretary of State)
3. CRISPR Scientists(These scientists have developed a great new technology capable of editing DNA)
4. Recep Tayyip Erdoğan(The Turkish president)
5. Nigel Farage(Head of the U.K. Independence Party)
6. The Flint Whistleblowers(Local residents, along with civil engineering professor Marc Edwards and local pediatrician Dr. Mona Hanna-Attisha)
7. Beyoncé Knowles(Known for speaking out about racial injustice, police violence and feminism.)
8. Narendra Modi(The Prime Minister of India)
9. Vladimir Putin(The Russian president )
10. Donald Trump(the 45th President of the United States)
11. Mark Zuckerberg(CEO,Facebook)
When the world looks at America to be great again, it is really very much meaningful to see Donald as the TIME person of the year.