With the kind of stress and work pressure that we have these days, high cholesterol has become a common problem. Eating junk food, working late nights, not sleeping well and not indulging in any physical exercise all result in bad health. It is because of this situation that we need to be conscious of what we eat. Eating the right kind of foods can help in lowering cholesterol and making us healthier.
Here are some super veg foods that can bring a change in the current situation:
1. Fruits – Many fruits like Pear, Apple, Orange, and Pomegranate have high fiber in them. The consumption of such fruits helps to bring down cholesterol levels in the blood. Their skin turns out to be an additional source of fiber. So, it is always good to eat fruits with their skin wherever possible.
2. Beans – All kinds of beans, be it Kidney beans, Chick peas or Bengal gram, have high fiber content, and this helps in lowering blood cholesterol. They also help in preventing blood sugar levels to rise too high immediately after a meal.
3. Garlic – Considered as a savior against heart diseases, Garlic has Allicin, which brings down cholesterol to a considerable level. It is believed that even less than half a clove of raw garlic a day can lower cholesterol to a great extent.
4. Green tea – Catechin, found in green tea, has great potential to protect the human body against cardiovascular ailments. It is believed that green tea lowers LDL, which is bad cholesterol. The drink has zero calories if taken without sugar and is great to lose weight.
5. Lemons – Another wonder food that helps in lowering cholesterol is the lemon. It is fat-free, sodium free and cholesterol free. Further, it has limonoids, which help in reducing cholesterol levels. It is also rich in Vitamin C.
6. Nuts – Some nuts like Walnuts and Almonds have good amounts of healthy fats i.e. omega - 3 fatty acids, fiber, and other heart-friendly nutrients, which help in reducing the risk of heart diseases. Also, seeds like Sunflower seeds and Flax seeds help in reducing cholesterol. However, one must take care not to eat more than a handful of nuts per day as they might affect adversely. Also, it is good to avoid salty, sugar-coated, chocolate-coated or honey-roasted nuts.
7. Tomatoes – are rich in Lycopene, which reduces levels of LDL cholesterol. A recent study has shown that body absorbs more lycopene if tomatoes are processed or cooked rather than eating them raw. Thus, to get the best advantage of tomatoes, drink tomato juice or add more to your soup.